Commercial Freshwater Fishing Licenses & Permits

Renew licenses online with credit card (other than Visa) or check


License Types

License Requirements

Additional Information

Commercial Freshwater License ApplicationAdobe PDF

----------Fishing Licenses----------

Any person who takes freshwater fish or frogs by any lawful method prescribed by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for purpose of sale is required to possess a Commercial Fishing License (resident or nonresident).

  • Allows harvest of non-game species only.
  • Holders of this license may sell to anyone but may not buy fish for the purpose of sale.
  • A valid Resident Commercial Freshwater Fishing License also allows recreational fishing.
  • A Commercial Freshwater Fishing License is required even for the use of trotlines of 25 hooks or less when fish are taken for purpose of sale.
  • Senior citizens are not exempt from purchase of commercial fishing licenses.
  • No Commercial Freshwater Fishing License or Commercial Freshwater Fish Dealer's License is required to take or sell live bait, other than freshwater fish or frogs.
  • All boats engaged in commercial fishing shall have at least one commercial licensee on board.


FCL - Resident Commercial Freshwater Fishing License (fish & frogs)..............$25.00icon_PDF.gif

FCL - Nonresident Commercial Freshwater Fishing License ..........................$100.00icon_PDF.gif


Additional license and/or permit may be required:

----------Dealer's Licenses----------

Resident Freshwater Fish Dealer's License

This license permits a resident to import, export, or sell (non-game) freshwater fish or frogs, including live bait. It is unlawful for licensed freshwater fish dealers or buyers to purchase freshwater fish or frogs from an unlicensed person.

RFD - Resident Freshwater Fish & Frog Dealer's License ...............................$40.00icon_PDF.gif

Nonresident Freshwater Retail Dealer's License

This license permits a nonresident to buy (non-game) freshwater fish, including live bait, (from persons properly licensed to sell freshwater fish) and may sell these products directly to a consumer. This nonresident license allows retail sales only--additional licenses required for wholesale dealers.

FRD - Nonresident Freshwater Retail Fish or Frog Dealer's License ...............$100.00icon_PDF.gif

Nonresident Freshwater Wholesale Dealer's License

This license permits a nonresident to buy (non-game) freshwater fish for resale from persons properly licensed to harvest freshwater fish and may sell freshwater fish within the state.

FWD - Nonresident Freshwater Wholesale Fish Dealer's License ...................$500.00icon_PDF.gif

Nonresident Freshwater Wholesale Buyer's License

This license permits a nonresident, who does not sell freshwater fish or frogs in Florida, to buy (non-game) freshwater fish or frogs from resident freshwater fish dealers for resale outside the state.

FWB - Nonresident Freshwater Wholesale Fish Buyer's License ......................$50.00icon_PDF.gif

Additional permit may be required:

  • Conditional/Prohibited/Nonnative Species Permit is also required in addition to the Commercial Freshwater Fish Dealer's License to import certain live freshwater fish.
    • Importers of restricted freshwater fish if doing retail or wholesale.
    • Importers of tropical freshwater fish if doing retail or wholesale.
    • Dealers in non-native aquatic freshwater species (retail or wholesale).

Please note that exotic freshwater fish cannot be given or sold to people without proper permits.

----------License Requirements----------

Florida Residency Requirements

For the purpose of obtaining a Commercial Freshwater Fishing License, a resident is defined as a citizen of the United States who has continuously resided in Florida for six (6) months before applying for a license.

Acceptable proofs of residency for the purpose of obtaining a Commercial Freshwater License:

  • Valid Florida Driver License
  • Valid Florida Identification Card
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Proof of Florida Homestead Exemption

Corporation Registration Requirements

All businesses applying for a Commercial Freshwater License must be registered with the Florida Department of State's Division of Corporations prior to submitting an application. Business types include: Corporations, Trademarks, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, Fictitious Names, General Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships.

For more information, please visit the Florida Department of State.

FWC Facts:
If you operate a vessel and have an accident, you may not leave the scene without giving all possible aid to others. You also must report the accident to the proper authorities.

Learn More at AskFWC