Special Use Vehicle (SUV) Permit
This permit allows permanently physically disabled persons enhanced access to selected wildlife management areas (WMAs). All SUV permits expire on June 30 each year.
What this permit allows
The named permit holder and one assistant riding in the same vehicle with the permit holder to operate a vehicle in some WMAs on roads not open to the public. The permit holder must follow the permit conditions and the restrictions in the Special Use Vehicle WMA Summary and Maps
- The permitted vehicle to be operated only on established named or numbered roads, service roads, firebreaks or well defined roads except as provided by the Special Use Vehicle (SUV) WMA Summary.
- Not all WMAs allow SUV-permitted vehicle access. You must read the Special Use Vehicle WMA Summary and Maps to determine which WMAs allow special use access and for area restrictions. The Summary is updated annually in July.
What this permit does NOT allow
- Access to WMAs when they are closed due to weather or other emergency closures.
- Hunting or fishing without the required licenses and permits.
- Access to areas designated or posted as closed due to safety, emergency or environmental purposes (e.g. bombing ranges, or roads closed due to flooding, washouts, or fire).
- Operation of a vehicle in any wetland or in any manner that destroys vegetation (driving on roads or firebreaks planted as a food plot or driving over trees).
- More than one assistant or person in or on the vehicle with the permit holder.
- Vehicles of a type not authorized by WMA regulations or the SUV WMA Summary.
- Parking in a manner that obstructs roads, gates or fire lanes.
Requirements and conditions
- A statement by a Florida licensed physician, on the FWC-provided Physician Certification Form, stating that the applicant is permanently disabled and that the qualifying disability renders normal walking impossible, is required,
A copy of your Permanent Florida Disabled Persons Parking Identification Permit and a copy of your Driver's License.
- Qualifying disabilities are:
a. Confinement to a wheelchair;
b. Requires mechanical aids such as crutches, prosthesis, or walker; or
c. Any certified permanent medical condition that severely limits a person's ability to walk.
The statement must be signed by a licensed Florida physician. The required Physician Certification Form for physician signature is provided as a part of this application process.
Applicants with temporary disabilities are not eligible for SUV permits.
- The permit holder must access, read and follow the area specific time periods of use and stipulations found in the SUV WMA Summary and Maps for each WMA accessed using this permit. Summaries are updated annually in July.
- This permit must be in the physical possession of the permit holder when engaged in the permitted activity and must be presented to any law enforcement officer, FWC personnel, Forest Service personnel or other law enforcement personnel upon request.
- The international handicapped symbol hanger provided for printing with this permit must be displayed on the vehicle transporting the permit holder.
- This permit is valid from approval until the next June 30.
Renewing your permit
Permit holders must reapply every year after July 1 by resubmitting an application online. A physician certification does not need to be resubmitted each year. However, permit holders who have not renewed the permit within the previous three years will be purged from the system and must submit both the application and physician's statement form.
Information you must have available to apply for this permit
- Contact and identification information, including a daytime telephone number where you can be reached during normal business hours.
- To receive notification of approval or denial of the permit application, the applicant will need to supply an e-mail address. If an e-mail address is not provided, the applicant may return to the application Web site periodically to determine if the permit was approved. If approved, the permit holder must print the permit and the international handicapped symbol hangers.
- A printer and Adobe Reader .
How to apply for this permit
- Click on the "Apply for a Special Use Vehicle (SUV) Permit" button below.
- This will take you to a login screen. If you have not applied online for an FWC special permit (AMP, Antlerless Deer, or Deer Dog) before, click on "Register." Enter the requested information and create your username and password.
- Enter your username and password.
- Enter the requested information.
- Submit your application.
- Copy your Permanent Florida Disabled Persons Parking Identification Permit and your drivers license OR
- Print the required Physician Certification Form.
- Take the required Physician Certification Form to your doctor.
- Return or scan and upload the signed Physician Certification Form OR a copy of your Florida Permanent Disabled Parking permit to FWC.
- Your application will be reviewed.
- If you supplied an e-mail address, you will receive notification of approval or denial of the permit application. If you do not supply an e-mail address, you will need to return to the site periodically to determine your status.
- If approved, sign on to the application site (by clicking the link below) and print the permit and international handicapped symbol hanger.
- Read and sign the permit.
Remember: Keep the permit in your possession when accessing WMAs that allow special use access and display the international handicapped symbol hanger on the vehicle used to transport you.
If you need an ADA accommodation to complete this application call 850-488-6411.
If you have general questions or need to check on the status of your application call 850-488-3641.