Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day coming up May 14. Celebrate with us or participate in the new statewide Lionfish Challenge or the Panhandle Pilot Program.
There has been no decision at this time to cancel the scallop season in Gulf County. We are continuing to collect data, evaluating information, and working closely with the Gulf County community. We will host two workshops in the Port St. Joe area (before the June Commission meeting) to gather public input and bring this issue before the Commission in June. Based on the most current scallop monitoring data, numbers indicate the St. Joseph Bay scallop population was severely impacted by the 2015 red tide event that occurred in that area.
Red snapper - Season in Gulf federal waters is June 1-June 9 for private recreational anglers (closing June 10) and June 1-July 16 (closing June 17) for federally permitted charter boats and headboats.
- Red drum bag limit lowered to 1 fish in Northwest zone starting May 1 News Release
- 2016 Red Drum Public Input Opportunity
- April Commission meeting news
- Gag and black grouper changes approved at February Commission meeting.
- Gulf red snapper state season: Open Saturdays and Sundays starting May 7; continuously May 28 through July 10; Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in September and October, and on Labor Day.
Fishing in the Know
The Marine Fisheries Management Monthly Newsletter
A quick and easy way to keep in the know about changes to state and federal regulations, current season openings and closures and Marine Fishery events. Subscribe.