Title XXIV Vessels
Chapter 327 Vessel Safety
View Entire Chapter
- The Boating Advisory Council is created within the Fish and
Wildlife Conservation Commission and shall be composed of 18
members. The members include:
- One representative from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission, who shall serve as the chair of the council.
- One representative each from the Department of Environmental
Protection, the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, the United
States Power Squadron, and the inland navigation districts.
- One representative of manatee protection interests, one
representative of the marine industries, one representative of
water-related environmental groups, one representative of canoe or
kayak enthusiasts, one representative of marine manufacturers, one
representative of commercial vessel owners or operators, one
representative of marine special events, one representative
actively involved and working full-time in the scuba diving
industry who has experience in recreational boating, one
representative of either the commercial fishing industry or the
commercial shellfishing industry, and two representatives of the
boating public, each of whom shall be nominated by the executive
director of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and
appointed by the Governor to serve staggered 3-year terms. Members
appointed by the Governor may serve no more than two full
- One member of the House of Representatives, who shall be
appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- One member of the Senate, who shall be appointed by the
President of the Senate.
- The council shall meet at the call of the chair, at the request
of a majority of its membership, or at such times as may be
prescribed by rule.
- The purpose of the council is to make recommendations to the
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the Department of
Economic Opportunity regarding issues affecting the boating
community, including, but not limited to, issues related to:
- Boating and diving safety education.
- Boating-related facilities, including marinas and boat testing
- Boat usage.
- Boat access.
- Working waterfronts.
- Members of the council shall serve without compensation but are
entitled to reimbursement of expenses as provided in s.
- A vacancy on the council shall be filled for the remainder of
the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment.
Members whose terms have expired may continue to serve until
replaced or reappointed.
- Members of the council may be removed for cause.
History.--s. 13, ch. 94-241; s. 34, ch. 99-245; s. 25, ch.
2000-362; s. 1, ch. 2005-158.